Monday, October 21, 2013

What do you get when you cross a drug dealer, a spiritual teacher and Jesus?

Srinigar, Kashmir.

  • I float on a boat with a drug dealer and a spiritual teacher for a week
  • What the muslims say about JC (or Jesus to you and me)
  • Tension on the streets of Kashmir
  • Underpant lads 1 Mister Kris 0

 My life in September was a bit like the TV show the Amazing Race (oddly I even hung out with one of their camera crew) .  I travelled through 6 Indian states in the first two weeks of September.  Once upon a time, all these provinces and territories were their own kingdoms and countries which meant huge contrasts in culture, religion, diet, language, customs and history  The one part that struck me was climate.  I’d taken 5 night trains and about 30 hours of buses in 2 weeks and AC, junk food on the go and lack of sleep in cheap hotels had got to me.  I should have respected the underpants boys on my AC2 experience for they knew that in 35 degree heat when you get on an AC compartment you should change clothes.  So when I went from 35 degrees in Delhi to 15 degrees in North Kashmir all of us a sudden I felt a little crappy.

However,  I was soon on a boat on Dal Lake.  And this is the only song in my head…



Arriving in Kashmir is odd.  I flew into Srinigar and it felt like we were arriving at a military airport as opposed to a civilian one.   The streets were pretty similar, lined with soldiers and tanks but luckily most had a smile when they saw a white person in a taxi.     

My Srinigar experience was a funny one.  Before I went everyone told me about the beauty of Dal lake resting below the mountains and the peace and tranquility of staying on a houseboat.  Since I left all I've met are people who had been ripped off, had issues with the army curfews and described the lake as smelly, dirty and noisy.  So my opinion? Well upon my arrival I met Eddie an ex drug dealer from Plymouth who travels the world following marijuana harvests and writes articles for Weed magazines/blogs and David a hippy from California who’s well know in the spiritual healing circles.  The two were some of the most intelligent people I've met on my whole trip.  Eddie spent most of his time smoking then passing out on the floor and David spent most of his time doing Yoga and talking wisely whilst stroking his beard. 

The setup on the houseboat was surprisingly formal, especially considering it was 9 euros/day including 3 meals.  We all ate together at a very grand dining room table and David would sit at the head always coming up with classic phrases after any silence “Well this is us, isn’t is amazing we are on planet earth speeding through the universe.  Life is sweet”.  The food on the boat was very good and the rooms surprisingly kitted out. 

Me, David and Eddie at dinner:



My issue, and having had a few chavaran holidays as a kid I should have realized this.  On a houseboat you all need to follow the same patterns; the butterfly effect is more like the fart effect on a boat.  David and I being yogis would go to bed early and rise early.  Eddie would stay up late playing trance and pass out in the lounge.  We also had an Indian family staying on the boat who went to bed really early (9 pm) and wake just after the call to prayer at 5.30am, and they weren't quiet. 

As a result the maximum sleep you could get was 5-6 hours.  It was a peaceful lake but late trance music and early guttural clearing noises from the Indians (a family of 8 means that can last up to ½ hour).  It was, however, the perfect place to meditate.  Out on the terrace facing the peaceful lake away from the noisy auntie shouting at her family at 6am.  

The view meditating on the lake in the morning:


One problem with that though, the sellers.  I had a few occasions in which I was sunk into the terrace in a quiet state with my eyes closed and a seller on a passing boat would shout ‘hello, hello, you want flowers’.  I would duly ignore this yet it would be repeated until I opened my eyes and was asked again.  At this point I would mention I was meditating and that I had no need for flowers and would like some peace.   This didn't work as I’d engaged a conversation.  This was a problem in Kashmir.  The rip offs were nearly as bad as Varanassi.  I heard of one German guy who was on a boat and the owner tried to sell him a 10 day trek for 1000 euros (cost was probably 100 euros), he refused and the owner said unless he took one of his trips he would keep his passport.  He was 18 years old so mature enough to travel in North India but not experienced enough to get out of a shitty situation like that.  You cannot just get off a boat.

Getting the police involved in Kashmir is messy as it’s a political state.  There was nothing calming about these Kashmiri men all with their default moustache, brown leather jacket and hooker sucker.  It is a gorgeous location, and my boat came on a friend’s recommendation and yet even though I wasn't ripped off I wouldn't go back. 

I was humbled hanging out with David (to see him in action click here).  He reminded me of Jeff Bridges aka Kevin Flynn in Tron:


He was one of the first people to take Kundalini Yoga to the USA in the 1960s which he practiced every morning on the terrace.  In this pic influencing the local kids!



Eddie, however, was not such a calm character.  His years of marijuana had him crawling up the walls with paranoia and as such he was always looking for an argument and would not accept defeat.  He was like a skinny Vinny Jones and very well read to boot so you just let him have his moment.

Kashmir is known to be a bit of a tinderbox with continuous attacks from Pakistani militant groups resulting in civil unrest. The streets of Srinigar are safe to tourists but lined with military ready for action.  The day before arrived there had been a few fatalities during a strike that turned into a riot close to Jesus’s tomb.  Yes, JC is in Srinigar.  There’s a theory that Jesus spent his ‘lost years’ (before he started preaching) in India where Buddhism influenced his teachings.  The most famous book on the subject is ‘Jesus lived in India’ and even the Koran suggest the same. Below is a photo of the tomb, it’s closed and no photos are allowed.   When I visited following the previous days’ riot I daren't even put my hand in my pocket as the stares from the locals were seriously scary.



After a few days I decided to move on.  Unlike the rest of India, the punjabis and kashmiris love dried fruits and nuts so the travelling diet was no longer fried street food.  I wanted to head to either Amritsar or Dharamshala so I took a jeep to Jammu.   Shared jeeps are the only way to travel in Kashmir as the mountain terrain and turbulent history means it’s one of the few parts of India not well served by train.  I found a jeep for an OK price but was dubious over the springs sticking in my arse and lack of headroom (I didn't fancy 5 hours of head banging).  I got out and left much to the protest of my fellow passengers (jeeps only leave when full so someone changing vehicle is not good).   I said ‘come on lads we can do better than this’ and hilariously two Kashmiri guys and a family followed me to another jeep which didn't have springs sticking out of the seats.  I was lucky with the upgrade, it wasn't a 5 hour trip it turned out to be 9.

The drive through rural Kashmir was stunning, enchanted forests in rolling mountains, similar to Nepal.  You are soon, however, reminded you are in Kashmir.  Soldiers clutter the forest paths sitting in the mist with their guns and, as I discovered when going to the toilet at a refreshment you are faced with a fixed machine gunner behind sandbags everwhere.

I was wrecked on the trip and even when feeling tired and a beet sick you soon feel alive and full of wanderlust again when you stretch your jaw muscles and feel your lips move over your teeth to shine a smile at a random group of bearded shepherds on the back of a truck and they smile back with such great energy.  Breath it in :)  I am one of the luckiest people in the world.

A Happy Boy :)


The driving skills in the mountain were on par with most of India.  Stupid. We had two drivers and the first one was racing against a rival jeep for the first 5 hours which involved a number of cliff edge passes.  The second driver was the opposite.  I’m not sure if he had ever driven before.  When overtaking he would change ‘up’ gear and when we came out of a hairpin turn he would let go of the steering wheel and look possessed as it spun back round.  Bless.

We saw a few crashes along the way but one really annoyed me. The driver stopped to look at dead motorcyclist to argue whose fault it was; instead of calling for help or simply paying his respects he simply encouraged a discussion which nearly ended up in another fatality.  Five minutes later he wouldn't stop to help push truck out of the road instead just shouted at them to get out of the road as he was late.

When we arrived in Jammu the bus to Dharamshala had left so I waited for the next bus to Amritsar.  I actually wrote a blog at the time (this one is being written on 0515 commuter train going through lush Sri Lanka …I’ll catch up soon!) as I was so shocked by the level of begging.  No-where in India had I seen a queue of people begging outside the bus window. 


The bus ride was an easy 6 hours.  My only annoyance was guy insisting on sitting next to me when the bus had empty seats at the back.  His claim was ‘but you’ll be lonely’.  Cock.  I didn't want to move to the back as it despite no big bumps/potholes or severe overtaking moves the ride was a real boneshaker which meant lucky for me I drifted off to sleep for most of the trip.  Next stop Amritsar – The Golden Temple, Pakistan border and Jallainwala Bagh (the site of the Amritsar massacre).

No comments:

Post a Comment